Justin Spain Solicitors is a niche private client law firm specialising in the practice of family law.
The firm is based in Fitzwilliam Square in Dublin and is headed by Justin Spain. Justin is one of only a handful of lawyers in Ireland who is a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers. He studied law at Trinity and qualified as a Solicitor in 1994 with Matheson Ormsby Prentice. Following qualification he completed an MBA before working with AIB Corporate Finance and with Herbert Smith Solicitors in London. Justin left Herbert Smith to return to Ireland in 1999. He has specialised in the area of family law for many years with Hayes Solicitors before leaving there in early 2012 to set up his own specialist practice.
Former Chairman of the Family Law Committee of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association and is a former member of the Executive Committee of the Family Lawyers Association. He is also a member of the Family and Child Law Committee of the Law Society of Ireland. Justin is also admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales and is trained in Collaborative Law.
Justin has many years of experience acting in a wide range of family law cases in the District, Circuit and High Courts, including many reported landmark cases. For example, he has advised clients in relation to the following:
- Numerous separation cases involving the issuing of or defending of Judicial Separation proceedings, both in the Circuit Court and in the High Court.
- Drafting Deeds of Separation (ie where the terms of a separation can be resolved without the need for Court proceedings).
- Acting for either party in non-marital disputes in relation to such issues as child maintenance, access, financial compensation and guardianship.
- Acting for a mother in an application to move to the UK with her children against the wishes of the father.
- Drafting pre Civil Partnerhsip Agreements.
- Drafting pre-nuptial agreements.
- Acting for either the husband or the wife in divorce cases where there has been a previous separation and there are no further issues to be resolved other than divorce.
- Advising in relation to the whole area of pensions in the context of separation, including drafting Pension Adjustment Orders.
- Advising on cohabitation and acting in Court proceedings in disputes on the breakdown of the relationship between cohabiting couples.
- Drafting Cohabitants Agreements for couples who wish to contract out of the provisions in legislation relating to cohabiting couples.
- Acting in Nullity proceedings in the Circuit Family Court for parties seeking a Decree of Nullity.
He lectures regularly at seminars on family law and has published many articles on various areas of family law. He has appeared on both RTE and Newstalk to discuss family law issues.
Justin’s previous background in finance gives him a unique perspective on family law cases. Many family law cases require a detailed understanding of accounting and finance, for example if there is a family business the value of which is part of the dispute. Justin’s background and experience in both finance and family law give him a unique insight in providing advice to clients in such circumstances.